Saturday, January 08, 2011

Austria Rules!

A simple Lamb's Lettuce salad...the secret is some wonderful Walnut Oil and Apple Vinegar
What to drink....some Austrian whites...
Smaragd...for those who don't know their Austrian whites...is the top quality award indicating the best wines.




Two great properties...the same vintage...F.X. Pichler is a master tending towards a lighter style than Knoll...although my experience with the latter has been with their Grüners....
F. X. Pichler Grüner Veltliner
Smaragd M 2007

Wachau, Austria
A 'slim' Smaragd...as I expected...enticing aroma...mineral tones...a gentle feel to it overall...perfect balance...peaches after airing....this has a touch of boytritis...the usual white pepper....honey and a yellow apple finish...trace of citrus...beautifully layered...a soft explosion with every mouthful...and a good finish. I just kept thinking STONES....a masterclass wine.
Points 17.75






Next day...the Riesling from Knoll

Knoll Riesling Ried Schütt
Smaragd 2007

Wachau, Austria
I was really surprised by the reserved style...I love the Grüners from this property...but they can sometimes be a touch overblown...this Riesling was dry...no way austere though...very much what I like...reserved acidity...enticing smoke on the nose...what is that other aroma...tropical fruit maybe...I tried this in a large glass...and it thanked me....lemon on the palate...zippy...again loads of minerals...leaping over the tongue...like a ballerina...great balance and a lingering finish.
Points 17.5

No comments: