Sunday, June 14, 2009

Classic Pie & Bordeaux

I say good old British food....and then the smiles break out.....but the traditional foods are classics... Everyone knows Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding (not actually a pudding as most know it)....Lamb with Mint Sauce (which I love) & Cottage Pie (not actually a pie)...but 100 years ago there were classics like Pheasant Pie..and I once visited a restaurant in Cornwall where they recreated the old dishes with fresh ingredients..delicious.Queen Victoria ate well. One of my favourite dishes that my mum used to make is Steak & Kidney pie..and my wife has mastered it..so once in a while I get to relive my youth. The perfect match is a Bordeaux...and as I don't have any 'new' Bordeaux..poor me had to go to the oldest part of my cellar...and choose a real 'oldie'.
Château Cos d'Estournel 1982

St.Estèphe, Bordeaux, France

Medium deep colour..with an amber rim...intriguing nose of powdered earth..slightly musty..but that is the charm of Bordeaux..not unattractive...the usual pencil shavings and tobacco....this had been decanted 2 hours before tasting..and was showing beautifully. I last had this about 5 years ago..and it worried me at the time..was not very forthcoming..but on the palate now it is lighter than I remember..although this vintage of Cos was 'off the rails'..not typical..and there is still a soft sweet plum texture..but now the balance is perfect. Cassis fruit caresses the tongue..creamy..and although there is ripe fruit.. the impression is 'cool'..and it is typical St. Estèphe...ah....they don't make modern wines that have this classic style any more....it lingers in your mouth for ages...I must eat more pies..if only to have the excuse to raid my vintage Bordeaux.
Points 18

1 comment:

Edward said...

I'm not sure what I am more jealous about. The wine or the pie! I used to have steak and kidney pie almost every Sunday for lunch with my parents and I do miss the taste. The wine sounds superb, perhaps I can swap some Barossa Shiraz with you ;)