Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Riesling & Cushions

The first wine was part of a mixed case or 2007 Rieslings...I had not forgotten it....just sometimes when I want a Riesling my stomach tells me it doesn't want too much acidity....maybe that is why I chose soft cushions as background...
Dönnhoff does nothing simple..but this is his 'basic' Riesling from the best Vintage for yonks.
Dönnhoff Riesling 2007
Nahe, Germany
A soft 'plop' as the cork left the bottle...and the wine showed a slight prickle...and me..not a Prosecco lover...
A gentle firm pear aroma..fresh and minerally...herbs and a touch of citrus...light & easy.....and the acidity..which is nicely integrated..it just me this time..bad luck on the wine..
Points 15
As so it was that I went into the cellar again..I needed a meatier version..my stomach tells me..and I listen...


Hirsch Gaisberg Riesling 2005
Kamptal, Austria
Naturally..a different 'kettle of fish' here...my 'stuff'..petroleum...yellow-gold colour...smokey....this is classy Riesling...spices..mineral fragrance..medium bodied...but the wine is 'dry'..as I like it...crunchy maybe describes it better...perfect with lightly spiced Indian food.
Points 17.25

No comments: