Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Sign Of Age?

The day job has had priority over the last few weeks...hardly time to update the blog. The positive is...money earned to buy some more of the liquid stuff.



Velich Darscho Chardonnay 2009
Neusiedlersee, Austria
Heinz Velich is a name to watch. He makes my style of Chardonnay. The 'Tiglat' tasted recently had impressed. They see new oak...but the balance is perfect and there always remains a balance veering towards minerals. Flinty nose...lychee fruit...and a touch of honey.
Points 17



Winkler-Hermaden Sauvignon Blanc
Hochwart Stürghk 2009
South East Styria, Austria
Strange...but when I used to try the grape...the very thought of gooseberries made my mouth pucker. Not any more...I have found the new home of this variety...and this one is a bargain at € 15,--. Blood oranges...juicy citrus fruit and a good finish makes this a must for daily summer drinking.
Points 16.5








Kollwentz Taschler Chardonnay 2009
Burgenland, Austria
Again the minerals in these Austrian wines turn me on. Oaky notes...melons...elegant spices...and a dose of citrus fruit. Lively acidity and a creamy finish
Points 17.25










Jackson Estate Vintage Widow
Pinot Noir 2010
Marlborough, New Zealand
Scented bouquet...aroma of violets...and some dark forest fruit...gentle smokey aromas. Silky structure...and lots of potential
Points 17

and finally...a sign of age?...tired from overwork?
Pfleger Pinot Noir *** 2008
Pfalz, Germany
I just grabbed for the basic bottle of Pfleger's Pinot Noir 2009...and after tasting the first glass...was thinking what a real gem it had developed into.
Showing my wife the label...I suddenly realized I had mistakenly opened my only bottle of the 2008 ***
More through shock...the only notes I made were...lovely now...but needed a year or two...which it won't get anymore.
Points 17.25

No comments: