Friday, August 05, 2011

Silvaner Surprise

Zehnthof Luckert
Silvaner Gelbkalk 2009

Franconia, Germany

A nose I am not familiar with...due to the fact that I have HARDLY EVER tried Silvaner wines...due to the fact that they had never impressed. However...they are appearing all over the place...making a comeback, so to speak....and so I thought I would try a couple. This property is highly rated in Franconia...and the area has always been associated with the grape. Back to the nose...yellow fruits...a mix of apples and pears...and the fatness of previous examples was not evident here. Minerality...lovely lively stuff...cinammon on the palate and a gentle steeliness making a wine at the price...€ 15,-- that is worth testing folks.
Points 16.5...
Yes I know it's 16.5 again...purely coincidence....all the wines tried recently have pleased...but just missing hitting the 17 point mark

No comments: