Friday, March 18, 2011

Airing Your Wines

Drinking alone I usually have some left over the next day...and try to plan my drinking so as not to 'throw' anything away. You can be rewarded when you leave a wine to 'air' for 24 hours...or in the case of the white wine...48 hours. The saying 'You are dammed if you do and you're dammed if you don't' seems appropriate. The first wine suffered...the second rewarded me...the third was a dead-heat.

Rudolf Fürst
Bürgstadter Centgrafenberg
Spätburgunder R 2005

Franken, Germany

I was wondering what to drink...and also checking some wines I was following on Ebay. The auction ended at 8pm that evening...and I had a couple of bottles already in my cellar...so it was decided. The Fürst would be the choice...and I then had 2 hours to decide whether to buy a couple more. The decision was taken and I won. This wine is now delicate...and almost at it's peak. An aged smokiness...sweet fruit...small red berries...brambly...trace of mushrooms...and some dry tannins. A lively acidity and the delicate finish. Now I have threee bottles in total...and need to check it at 6 monthly periods. If you have a bottle...don't leave it overnight...is not the type to give you 24 hour pleasure.
Points 17.25


F.X.Pichler Grüner Veltliner
Smaragd Loibner Berg 2009

Wachau, Austria

White pepper...young and sweet on day one...honeyed. Zip up the bottle and wait 2 days.
Thanks...is what it said to me on removíng the cork to test the half bottle left. White pepperry nose...and still lots of honey. The 'sweet on the lips' taste had flattened out...broadened...a georgeous layer of waxy fruit on the palate...wrapped in a peppery, spicy glove. Delicious explosion of minerality...a lingering finish. A top wine...
Points 17.75





Knab Endinger Engelsberg
Spätburgunder *** 2006

Baden, Germany

I last tried this in March 2007 and advised myself to leave it alone. Didn't I do well?
Awkward on opening...even with 2 hours airing. Then...it got itself together. Intense cherry fruit. A day later there was a thicker marzipan taste...no definite improvement...but also no pain.
Points 17

No comments: