Sunday, July 19, 2009

Torres Salmos

Torres Salmos 2005
Priorat, Spain
Torres wines...well...for as long as I can remember..from basic to top (Mas La Plana)..and also his ventures abroad..quality. So here he is in Priorat...with the first vintage of a wine he has been wanting to produce for over 10 years. The mix is Garnacha, Cariñena, Cabernet-Sauvignon, Syrah..with the old vine Granache dominating....aged in oak.
Now...while the front label is readable...the rear end is in 3 languages...light brown on dark brown...
and unreadable to my eyes...I gave up after the first sip. Dark purple colour..cherry nose...fruit compot..slightly burnt...anis.. quite intense on the palate..again with the cherry...some liquorice..but now the downer for me....you know when a bottle has been opened a few days...that slightly 'lost fruit' taste...that was the impression...maybe the anis....that's not to say the wine has no fruit..completely the opposite...wild flavours and some chocolate...a soft tannic bite....but this needed some acidity for me..I gave it time and returned the next day..and occasionally..that side taste softened...but I just couldn't fall in love with Miss Salmos....jammy...which many seem to like..but missing that dry spicy addition of many of the new Spanish wines...good....but no more.
Points 16.25

No comments: