Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Win A Few, Lose A Few

Going back to wines that pleased..can be a pleasure..but sometimes a disappointment. Reasons can be many. Surprise has gone, bad day, wrong food, poor bottle, opened too late.....and a few more.
Three tried over the last few days.
1.
Friedrich Becker Sankt Paul
Spätburgunder 2005
Schweigener Sonnenhof Grosses Gewächs
Pfalz, Germany
I said I could not resist after the last bottle.....so I am going to give this the benefit of the doubt. It was Ok...so maybe going through a closed period.





2.
Quinta de Roriz Reserva 2002
Douro, Portugal
If I had smelled this
blindfolded..I would have guessed a port..which of course is the area where it is grown. The softness I detected in the previous bottle..has taken over...all the bite and spiciness has gone..worked flat...a dry/sweet impression....

and so it was that I tentatively opened this third bottle. Had I been bad recently...why me I was asking......?




3.
Meyer-Näkel Blauschiefer
Spätburgunder trocken 2006

Ahr, Germany

Saved......a semi-thick spread of strawberries...juicy..with light tannins...
I can give this points....almost as good as this one
Points 17









I presume I am not alone among fellow bloggers....bottle variation is not always 'in the bottle'...maybe sometimes in the mind...or on the plate. Whatever the reasons..that's my share for 2009!!!!

No comments: