Friday, November 07, 2008

Old Amigos

I first came across this wine in the mid-90's..travelling back from Portugal through Spain and stopping at a very fine restaurant..where they had a decent wine-list. This was recommended..and warily..I accepted. Back then..Spanish whites were thin and without character..or heavily oaked Riojas. I remember how good it was...so after a few years..here we are again..old amigos.
Chivite Coleccion 125 Anniversario Blanco 2005
Navarra, Spain
Yellow..some green tinges...sweet pineapple aroma...creamy but crisp...meaning..not overdone..
this is 100% Chardonnay and a dead ringer for a good Burgundy...it spends 10 months in French oak. That crispness is citrus like...then a toastiness..and the oak hits the back palate..not the lips.. I hate licking away the oak...it's dry smokiness made me think of a good cigar...liquid Havana. Not cheap...but then again..neither is Burgundy.
Points 17.5..more info on the back label....

No comments: