Monday, September 08, 2008

Aussie Hune

Hands up all those who have tasted Clos St Hune. OK..thank you Mr Broadbent.
Now..the rest who haven't won't know what I am on about...but.....this wine reminds me of the aforementioned Alsatian classic in it's youth.
Now...before all you Aussies start thinking you can do something good other than play cricket...the question is...will it develope? Trimbach's Clos St Hune is closed and reserved in it's youth. Try it after 10 years and you will proclaim..'The Best Dry Riesling in The World'.....I say dry....so as not to get posts about 'sweet' wines.
Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2006
Clare Valley, Australia
Medium pale colour (although the photo shows it as Kermit green...that was down to the plant behind)...restrained nose at first...then a touch of petroleum..or kerosene if you prefer...good sign for the future at this point....the first general impression was of pebbles....no..not the baby from the Flintstone's cartoon....the stones..and I don't mean Mick Jagger's boys.....the ones on the beach...please concentrate when reading my posts...This is DRY...and I mean DRYYYYY!..but if you fear for a mouth-puckering experience..no worries...this is minerally and dry..did I mention that?..but the acidity is so well integrated..you hardly notice. Apples, peaches, pears and a touch of lime all spring to mind...the spice of the Asian food helped it to open it's charms...but still very restrained...more to come?...anyone have experience of this wine when aged?
Points 17.5

6 comments:

Joe said...

How did you get this (and how much)? I heard Aussies beat to death anyone caught trying to leave the country with a bottle. Ed raves about the stuff - maybe he knows how it ages? I used to scoff at Aussie riesling, but had some really nice ones (at all price points) over the past year...

Barry said...

I think it was a present from a wine friend...checked out..still available at about € 28...

Edward said...

My memory is so bad these days, I had to search by blog to see if I had tried it. . . I thought is was stone like too, but more river stones than beach stones. . . I think this is a more medium term prospect, may be drink till 2016, as it is not as strong a vintage as say 2002 or 2005.

With the screwcap, it will move very little for many years. The 2001 and 02 that I have under screwcap are still very primary.

I can't drink too many of these though - my teeth hurt for days after. . .

Barry said...

Yes..Alzeimer takes over early when you are Spätburgunder starved...

an ass Keith Richard said..'stones is stones' or was it 'Stoned Is Stoned'..

anyway..my story about the Flintstone baby wouldn't have fitted in..

As to your teeth..a daily rinse of Romannee-Conti will cure that...

Edward said...

Barry,

I wonder how much Spätburgunder I will need. . . I still can't work out which light switches turn on which lights in my house (which I have lived in for 4 years). . .

Shea said...

Barry, I think that is a very astute tasting note. I had this recently, too, and found it very brilliant - almost too forward. But, also beautifully made. I wonder about this under a cork...

Joe, you can get pretty much the full Grosset line here in Vancouver right now. I just got the Grosset watervale on sale for $30 at Marquis. The polish hill is selling for $10 more, and there is also the semillon blend, the pinot noir and the gaia availabl.e