Monday, January 14, 2008

Radio Rioja

Every two weeks on Sunday evening
I have my Vintage Soul Radio Show
which I have been doing for
over 10 years now....
another 'hobby' of mine..Soul Music.
I finish at 7pm and then it's back home
for a meal and a glass or two of wine.

I had opened the bottle at 5pm and left
it to breath (was the recommendation).



When I first 'found' Rioja wines in the 70's..they were full of soft oaky fruit..the Reservas were superb...then came a bad period...Spain is back on track nowadays..
but Rioja Reservas worry me at times..and I generally prefer the crianzas which spend less time in oak..and are a better balanced proposition.
Dinastía Vivanco Reserva 1998

Rioja, Spain
A blend of Tempranillo and Graciano aged in French oak.
Cherry red colour.....some tobacco on the nose...no vanilla or sweet oak...
On the palate rather dry..and dusty fruit..and acidity...not sure which way to go was my impression..needs food. Too many years in oak can produce wines like this...not a bad wine..but not a pleaser to return to.

Points 15.5

No comments: